What is Social Media Spam ??
A compact informal definition of spam is:
The creative shortcut to achieve visibility
Hogging undeserved attention could be an alternative.
Many years ago when I was young with a lot of hair where I wish I still had it (= head) I toured the US on a greyhound bus. It was August 1982 for the record.
With my friend Giampaolo we walked through downtown San Francisco and I recall one particular street a line up of homeless people were competing for my attention and money. Each and every one of them had a different way of approaching by passers. I can distinctly recall one guy saying:
“let’s cut the bu/&%$it just gimme the money”
That’s what social media spam looks (and sounds) like today. Ugly and impolite, invasive, useless, and noisy enough to give you a headache.
Social Media Spam is in your feeds, linking to posts with no value and of no interest.
There is too much low level promotion. As I am writing I went on to my del.icio.us feed – I monitor the tag “web+marketing” and there is a company that has a number of bookmarked entries one after another:
- Internet Marketing Search Engine Placement – Internet marketing search engine placement
- Engine Marketing Online Optimization Search Servic – Engine marketing online optimization search servic
- Internet Marketing Solution – Internet marketing solution
- Internet Marketing Software – Internet marketing software
- Internet Marketing Research Firm – Internet marketing research firm
- California Search Engine Marketing – California search engine marketing
- Internet Marketing Advertising San Diego – Internet marketing advertising san diego
- Chicago Internet Marketing Services – Chicago internet marketing services
- Design Graphic In Marketing Pa Philadelphia – Design graphic in marketing pa philadelphia
And the list continues (with a lot of typos … )- it’s very annoying to say the least.
Only the company itself could have bookmarked and tagged web pages in this fashion. These people apparently are unaware of the “what’s in it for me” issue that all web users have as their top priority.
Talking about yourself on and on isn’t the way to go !
You don’t care how good I am – you are seeking benefits for yourself – does that sound so unreasonable ?? Not to me. It might be selfish, but that’s the way it is and nobody can change it.
You couldn’t care less about the latest release of my software, or the new search engine course taking place next week, you are looking for useful information, great web sites, and nothing else. So if I don’t have any useful information to relay – then it’s best I keep quiet …
This is what Social Media spam looks like to me.
What do you think social media spam is ??