Don’t waste your money on ADWORDS !
Most of my professional experience is on search engines and organic placement, but recently I have had the opportunity to work a bit more on paid advertising and review several ADWORDS campaigns. New Clients have been showing up in my Email box requesting my services and advice on ADWORDS campaigns that are not working.
So what’s the problem ?
I believe that many smaller companies (with even smaller budgets) are lured into using ADWORDS and similar online promotion tools simply because they are so simple to setup and get running – enter your comany name, number, credit card and you’re off …
What are many ADWORDS campaigns missing ?
- compelling ads
- optimal groups of keywords
- negative keywords
- landing pages
What should you do to optimize your ADWORDS campaign ?
- make a list fo your products and services – it will help rationalize your priorities on important items and identify your web marketing needs and requirements
- start with a small number of keywords – if you’re new to all this even a short list of 100 keywords can be difficult to handle: a short list of important keywords will be much easier to manage allowing you to get a firm grip on the campaign
- create a new landing page for each group of keywords with unique titles and meta description. Make it keyword rich with variations on your main keyword
- use negative keywords ! This aspect alone can literally eat up your budget if you are using generic keywords which (more often than not) can be used in completely different contexts. I have found myself spending more time identifying negative keywords than positive ones.
- work on creating new ads, try to beat yourself with new creativity and increasing CTRs (Click Thru Rates)
Although it may appear simple and intuitive there’s much more to it than you may have anticipated. Have a professional take a look at what you have done before you waste your money by generating off target and expensive traffic.
My newest Client had a DIY ADWORDS capmaign – the company is small and they actually inspired this post.
The original adwords campaign was costing an average €0,15 per click with a CTR just under 0,9%.
My intervention went beyond twitching and adding a few keywords: at the end of the day (so to speak) the new ADWORDS campaign was generating less traffic, with a much higher CTR (3,5%) and costing an average of € 0,10 – an increace by a factor 4 on the CTR and a 50% CPC (Cost per Click) reduction.
So be careful with DIY ADWORDS, invest in professional help to get your web marketing efforts on the right track from day 1
Have any pointers you would like to add to my shortlist ? Leave a comment 🙂