Upgrading to WordPress 2.3
Yesterday and today I spent a great deal of time review WordPress 2.3 – I installed and configured the platform for a Client ready for launch in the blogosphere 🙂
It was a good opportunity to give this release a test run and review the new built in features I have heard much talk about.
The biggest innovation of this upgrade is the built in tag functionality. Tagging importers from the popular tagging plugins are included:
- Ultimate Tag Warrior
- Jerome’s Keywords
- Simple Tags
- Bunny’s Technorati Tags
Pending Review drafts that are ready for review before publishing can be labeled in WordPress 2.3
Canonical URLs are also supported in WordPress 2.3 – a significant improvement.
These improvements forced me to review my existing plugins against the list of plugins that have been tested for compatibility.
I found a few new and improved plugins I implemented along with a few old ones that are not on the compatibility list, probably because nobody had tested them yet:
You can’t do with it – a great resource to keep the spam out of your comments – although you have to keep an eye on it – some good ones get caught every now & again
This one is on the WordPress 2.3 Compatibility list but it’s not working so I’ll have the techies take a closer look at it and see whats happening (by the way leave your comment on this one to tell me if you are experiencing problems as well or not)
- cforms II
This one is a new replacement – really great, easy to install and configure complete with form spam protection
- Dean’s FCKEditor For WordPress
This is one of those plugins isn’t on the compatibility and I gave it a try and it works. I installed it, knowing it does not interfere with the code you put in yous posts, especially YouTube videos (there are a number of plugins out there serving this purpose I preferred not to use and changed the WYSIWYG editor)
- FeedBurner FeedSmith
On the compatibility list – burn your feed for some interesting analytics
- Full Text Feed
This is a plugin I picked up on the compatibility list I never got around to look for but always wanted. I am a full text feed advocate, but the standard WordPress configuration will cut your post short if you use the <!–more–> command in your post. This plugin solves the problem.
Generally speaking I don’t use the <!–more–> when I post – it really doesn’t matter that your post is featured on the home page, but it might come in handy if you have a very long post to publish: it might be the case when you publish a full text article
- Google XML Sitemaps
Let WordPress build your blog sitemap and remember to put a link to it on your robots.txt file:
Create unique TITLE and META DESCRIPTION tags for each and every page of your website. There is one thing missing compared to SEO Title Plugin and thst is the possibility for you to personalize titles for your tag pages, but it does place the tag in the TITLE tag (sorry for the mix up)
- Link to Me Textbox by Jim Westergren. This one isn’t on the list but it’s working
- NoFollow Free – if you wish you acn remove the nofollow on WordPress 2.3
- Related Posts – not working but listed as wordPress 2.3 qualified …
- Simple Trackback Validation This is another one I picked up on the list that looks pretty interesting so I’m giving it a try. It eliminates spam trackbacks by checking if the IP address of the trackback sender is equal to the IP address of the web server the trackback URL is referring. By retrieving the web page located at the URL used in the trackback and checking if the page contains a link to your blog it reduces the amount of trackback spam
- Social Bookmarking RELOADEDA very nice selection of Social bookmarking sites fit for a wide variety of needs
- WP-FootnotesNot on the list and it works – I like to add footnote to posts
- WP-PostRatings Put your blog posts to the test with this rating plugin – you’ll be surprised to see how opinions will differ !